Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Hong Kong Dollar must be scrapped ???????

Today some people from mainland government suggested that the HKD soon should be replaced by the Yuan (RMB) as official currency / tender - this is the best joke ever. Hey guys - 2046 is still some time to go !!!!
Bet you ask people on the street abut that "idea" ? Not anybody would ever ever agree on that "idea".
We love our Hong Kong Dollar & we shall keep it like that ! Basta !

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sex in passport: Female - passport holder is Male

Today a friend called me:
He said he was happily travelling with his new german passport since several months: 20+ trips to China & 2x China Visa application - 2x Visa for Indonesia - today SUDDENLY an immigration officer at some China border crossing told him: "There is something wrong with your passport - sex is called FEMALE" Ooooooops - better not ask me to further coment who is the stupid one here. At least for my friend it is now a lot  of trouble to get very fast a new correct passport saying MALE as he needs to travel to other places asap.

GERMAN CONSULATE IN HONG KONG: When I applied the passport for my boy somebody told me I have to bring the kid personally for the application - when I was going there with my kid the guy asked me: "Why do you bring the kid here ?" - I was told so my reply was. His reply: "Ohhhh that guy who told you was always telling everything wrong"......No further comment !

Monday, September 9, 2013

Another problem here in HKG - our government does not care at all !

THIS IS FROM SCMP - click here - copy below.

U.N. concern at plight of Hong Kong asylum seekers living in squalor

Refugee agency officials issue warning on living conditions in compounds in the New Territories
Sunday, 08 September, 2013, 7:25pm

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Overview Visa types - read carefully !

Foreigners coming to China for travel, study or employment are required to obtain a Chinese visa for the duration of their intended stay. There are several different types of visas that one can apply for. Here's a short breakdown of each of the main visas that may assist you during your application process. These have been updated to reflect changes occurred within the immigration reform of July 1, 2013.
72-hour Stay/G Visa : This visa is obtained at the airport upon arrival. This visa will allow you into a few of China's major cities for a period of 72 hours without having to go through visa applications prior to arrival. The application should include an airplane, vehicle or boat ticket to a further destination with a confirmed date within the 72 hour period.
Tourist Visa/L Visa: this visa is issued for tourism, visiting family/friends or other personal affairs. The L visa's validity used to range from 30/60/90 days and sometimes even 180/365 days however it seems that it is down to only 30 days. As per the new immigration reform beginning on July 1, 2013, there is a group visa option that is only for people who are traveling on an approved tour with an approved company. The group visa must be applied for prior to arrival in China by the tour company.
Non-Commercial Business Visa/F Visa: this visa is issued to aliens who are invited to China for an investigation, a lecture, scientific-technological & cultural exchanges or sports related visits that are less than six months long. F visas are no longer renewed in China. This is the visa that causes more issues than any of the others. The Business/F Visa should not be issued for employment with a Chinese company or school however is frequently issued for this purpose. If the position is a paid position, then you should have a Work Visa/Z Visa. Unfortunately, the Z visa is rather difficult to get. So, to keep up with the demand for foreign teachers, companies will issue Business/F visas. While it is quite common for teachers to be working on an F visa, it is technically illegal and you should be careful if you choose to go this route.
Business/Commercial Visa/M Visa: this is a new visa as of July 1, 2013. This visa will be issued to aliens who are invited by a company or business partner for commercial stays.
Work Visa/Z Visa: according to the new immigration reform beginning on July 1, 2013, there will now be 2 Z visa options. Z1 visa will be for aliens who come to China for employment over 90 days while Z2 visa will be for aliens who come to China for employment or paid internships for a period shorter than 90days. This visa is issued to aliens who are going to China for a post or employment, and to their accompanying family members. If you are receiving money for a job from a Chinese company or school, this is the visa that you should have. Your company should assist in obtaining your Foreign Expert's Certificate/License and then in applying for the Z visa. During the initial application process, you will be asked to undergo a medical examination and you may be asked to leave the country to obtain this visa (there have been instances where they can issue the Z visa within China, however, this is proving to be rare). Many people will either go to their home country or to Hong Kong. This visa will need to be replaced by a Temporary Residence Permit in your passport that allows you to enter/exit China as you please.
Student Visa/X Visa: this visa is issued to aliens who are going to China for study, furthering studies or internships that are longer than six months. This visa will be split into either X1 (long-term study) or X2 (short-term study). This visa will need to be replaced by a Temporary Residence Permit in your passport that allows you to enter/exit China as you please. The school or institution should assist you with the visa process. You may request an exemption for part-time work under the X visa. The work exemption must be approved by your school program.
(There are other types of visas however these seem like the most relevant to our audience)
While the types of visas generally stay the same, the immigration reform beginning on July 1, 2013 has added to the list and changed some of the previous visa functions. The renewal requirements and enforcements of these requirements may change frequently. Check with your Chinese Embassy/Consulate prior to applying for a Chinese visa to verify the requirements. If you do have any questions about visas please contact us. We would be more than happy to try and help you or point you in the right direction.
*Visa exemption for nationals of Brunei, Singapore and Japan for up to 15 day stays.
Related articles: 72 hours visa-free stay in select Chinese cities

A lot of new regulations for CHINA VISA - everybody be careful........

I just waited a while to get out this one. China has implemented new visa regulations - some reasonable - some maybe not. Please read following first here. More info will follow.

Tough Stance on Visa Policy and The New Immigration Law

China has recently started a 100-day campaign against foreigners working illegally and overstaying on their visa. At the same time a new immigration law has been passed that imposes stricter sanctions on companies who employ foreign workers.

Zero tolerance on ALL Chinese Visas
Some foreigners in China take a rather relaxed approach when it comes to applying or renewing their visas. The motto seems to be: “People get away with it all the time.” Many workers on China business trips hold tourist visas, and those who work full-time in China use business visas instead of legal working permits and just enter and exit to Hong Kong every once in a while.
Beijing is now cracking down on this care-free attitude – local police are swooping into bars popular among foreigners to check identification. Therefore, to avoid being on the wrong side of the law, all foreigners and foreign companies in China should adhere to these basic rules:
Never do business in China with a tourist visa;
Make sure no employees working in your office in China carry a tourist visa, may it be own staff, interns or business partners. Even if they are here for only one day, your company will be responsible in case of an investigation;
For any activities that are effectively paid employment in China, apply for a work permit.
Local spot checks in offices are rare, but may happen: cases have been reported in which disgruntled former employees or competitors tipped off the local police on a company that has not followed the visa rules.

Harsher penalties for illegal workers|
How does this development fit in with the new immigration law? Major changes are that penalties for violations are now clearly specified and can reach up to RMB 100,000 per illegally employed person for the company. Furthermore, any gains from the illegal employment can be confiscated. Individuals face up to RMB 20,000 fine for working illegally, plus detention for up to 15 days. Additionally, they can be deported to their home countries and banned from entering China for 5 years.
Policies in favour of foreign workers
Apart from these provisions, the law also contains some interesting developments in favour of foreign companies. It includes a new visa category for “talented” individuals which is designed to make it easier for people with professional skills to obtain work permits for China. The specific requirements will be outlined later by the relevant authorities.
The new law was passed during a recent meeting of the People’s Congress but will only come into effect on July 1st 2013, thus allowing enough time to arrange for compliance. It is evident that China is trying to encourage certain categories of foreign investment; it can now identify areas with a lack of skill set in the local workforce and attract the right foreign workers with a policy of preferential treatment.This is from here !

Careful - don't do anything illegal business wise in China. But also China Authorities have to draw a very sharp line between the "good ones" & the "bad ones". Restricting visas on just one entry etc is very harmful for people for example running a Hong Kong office & must go (are forced to go) several times a month over the border to check factory etc. Please be reasonable !