Monday, October 31, 2011

Update: Primary One Admissions

First please see here a link here for your info:
Click here to see all existing DSS schools in Hong Kong (Primary & Secondary)

After attending another interview with my son on Saturday we heard from a mother of one of his classmates following statement:
"Oh he has already been admitted to 2 of the schools + one 2nd interview"
Second interview means that you are 80% in !
The mother then told us she surely registered already for both of the ones her boy has been admitted already. I almost wanted to beat her  - because:
1 kid here is blocking 2 seats (only releasing them in last minute next year) - because in the end he can only go to 1 SCHOOL (as much as my math is good). Under consideration that all the application this family has filed was a favourite place for her son - now you tell me why they are holding an extra of 2 places - for what ?
I am safe to say there are many families doing the same as described before:
Holding several admissions in their hands & not willing to give up some of them until last minute - even they pay several 100 HKD registration fee for each of the schools they have been admitted to.
How to call this ? Show off to friends, relatives & others: My kid is so good - getting 2 admissions already.
Please do not forget: Much more are failing the applications / interviews than being successful - that is why I personally find this kind of behaviour totally unacceptable.

No regulation on this kind of behaviour from Education Dept.
Besides this, the son of the above family is 8 months older than my son - means he is 8 months more mature, which makes a big difference in that age.
When my son will start P1 next year he will be 6 + 2 months - the other boy will be 6 + 9 months - I am very sure this guy is much smarter today in this so-called "interviews" than my son is.
So many things are "over-regulated"in Hong Kong: You can not sit here, you can not sit there, you cannot have a seat outside a restaurant (btw: what happened in Stanley - no more OUTDOORS seating ?) - but this P1 admission no regulation at all ?

Anything ever heard about this in a so-called POLICY ADDRESS - I cannot remember.
Have a nice week ahead !

No comments: